Monday, May 14, 2007

Joy and Pain, Sunshine and Rain

Sadly, Grammy passed away yesterday morning. She was in bed with my grandfather, and when the nurse went to check on her early in the morning, she had no heartbeat. When my aunt arrived, my grandfather was upset, saying that she was supposed to die in his arms. So she got him back into bed, told him that perhaps she had not died just yet, put his arms around her, and he was able to be at peace with the thought that she was in his arms as she died. It makes me cry so much thinking about what that scene must have looked like and I am so grateful that my very loving aunt even had the presence of mind to allow him that moment. The funeral is tomorrow morning, so we're heading to Boston tonight.

My grandmother was an incredible person. She had six children. My father, the fourth child, was born 10 months after the aforementioned aunt. What they were doing having sex a month after birth with a newborn and two toddlers running around is beyond me! She managed to hold out after my dad was born, since my uncles after him came 6 and 11 years later. The funny thing is that my grandmother always claimed that my father was an ectopic pregnancy. Clearly, that's medically impossible, but I'm curious as to what the real story was.

Growing up, we lived about an hour from my grandparents, so I was fortunate to know them well and have very many fond memories. Grammy was known for her amazing chocolate chip cookies, for which my cousin and I got in trouble for sneaking from the fridge. And I'll always chuckle at her admonishment that I would always regret the fact that I had double pierced one of my ears when I was 16. She and my grandfather celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary at our wedding two years ago, and were even able to dance at the reception, which was wonderful.

I will really miss her, but am comforted by the fact that she's now pain-free and is at peace. Two days before she died, she woke up from the deep sleep/semi-coma state she had been in and out of and really wanted to get her hair done. She was convinced that she was heading to a party. The nurses were able to get her into a wheelchair and downstairs to the hair salon. Amazing. If only we could all pass into death feeling as though we were going to a party!

And then, this afternoon, I had my first ultrasound. The baby measured about 6w1d and there was a little heart flickering away on the screen. The juxtaposition of my grandmother's heart stopping beating yesterday and then seeing this little heart today is almost too much to bear. Life really is miraculous, and there is so, so much more to this universe than we will ever understand.

19 comments:

ultimatejourney said...

Your grandmother sounds amazing! May we all be that in love with our spouses right up to the end of our lives.

It gave me chills hearing about the circle of life and how you lost your grandmother and first heard your baby's heartbeat in less than two days. It would really be something if you're having a little girl!

Congrats on the heartbeat!

Anonymous said...

It's truly amazing the great influence people are in our lives. I found myself tearing up reading your post. It's so terribly hard to lose the people we love, but it's wonderful you were able to feel that she will be at peace now. She's having her reunion party with all of the loved ones gone before. I bet her hair looks fantastic!
And what an amazing onslaught of emotions! I'm so excited for you and that little heartbeat! Best of luck with everything! *hugs*

Sarah said...

i've got goosebumps! thanks for sharing your lovely tribute to your grandmother. i'm glad you have those wonderful memories to pass down to the newest little heartbeat.

megan said...

what a powerful, powerful post. it sounds as if your grandparents both had some amazing people around them in their time of need (from your aunt to the nurses).

fantastic news about your ultrasound. i'm so, so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.

I am happy to hear about the baby's heartbeat. I am sure you grandmother is watching over your pregnancy and smiling from above.

Ms. Perky said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I hope that you find comfort in the circle of life that has presented itself to you with your grandmother's passing but your child's heart beating.

While I'm sorry that your grandmother will not know this child, I know that your children will love hearing wonderful stories about your Grammy.

Dr. Grumbles said...

What a strange and beautiful coincidence. I wonder if you will see your grandmother in your baby.

Ann said...

This was a wonderful post, Carrie. Hearing about your grandmother's passing almost overshadows that little paragraph you added at the end--hearing the heartbeat! That had to have been a wonderful feeling. You've crossed a major milestone; now you can just keep on forging ahead!

Kirsten said...

What a beautiful,incredibly emotional in so many ways, moment for your grandfather. I am glad she went in peace though. It reminds me of when my stepfather passed away; my mom had noticed his hands turning purple when they woke up in the morning so she knew the end was near. She stopped everything and got into the hospital bed in our living room with him as he passed on. I found out we were having twins on the 5th anniversary of his death...life continues.
I am so glad you got to see the little heartbeat...it just keeps getting better :)

Tara said...

Got some tears in my eyes reading about your Grammy. I love that she needed to get her hair done because she was going to a party. That's just awesome.

What an emotional time for you.

Congrats on the heartbeat.

Kate said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Congrats on the heartbeat! :)

Kate said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Congrats on the heartbeat! :)

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are the best - sounds like yours is as precious as my own.

Congrats on the heartbeat - what a chilling moment.

Nicole said...

And the cycle continues. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am thrilled to hear about the new little heartbeat.

K said...

I'm so, so, very sorry to hear that you lost your grandmother - your post describing her and your relationship was beautiful and heart wrenching. It makes me miss both of my grandmothers, who both passed away many years ago. I suspect you will see something of your grandmother's spirit looking back at you from your newborn's eyes someday very soon....

Jess said...

Happy to hear that your baby is well. :)

Sorry about the loss of your grandma, though. :(

Anita said...

Great news about the heartbeat and GREAT news about how early you saw it.

Oddly enough, I just read yesterday that it is indeed possible, although very rare, for an ectopic pregnancy to go to full term. Nowadays, they don't let that happen because of the risk to the mother. But it is possible. (one of my new infertility books shed the light on that event)

YAY FOR YOU!!!!!

Ann said...

One more thought--thanks for clarifying about your experiences so far on my blog. It's true--you've been through a lot more, IF-wise, than just the one Clomid cycle. We all have our own journeys, and it's impossible for any of us to know all the intimate details of anyone's journey (or body) but our own.

Baby Blues said...

Love this post. Definitely joy and pain, sunshine and rain. Sorry to hear of your family's loss. But congratulations on the heartbeat!