Friday, May 4, 2007

Having faith

Everything is seemingly going okay so far. I do have some symptoms, especially being very tired in the evenings, and that gives me some sense of reassurance. I am starting to understand why Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes bought their own u/s machine, though. The comfort of being able to make sure that everything is okay in there whenever you want to would be marvelous.

Or maybe it wouldn't. Sometimes, you just have to have faith that everything will go as it needs to. And if it means that this pregnancy ends early, well, I'll just cross that bridge if I come to it. Worrying ceaselessly about the worst case scenarios is not helping. My mother thinks I'm crazy. I asked her if she worried about m/c when she was pregnant and she said that she didn't. I can't imagine being so blissfully unaware of all of the things that could possibly go wrong. I think I know too much.

But, I should just take a lesson from my own wedding. Some things that you DO worry about, don't happen. Like worrying that the flowers won't be delivered or that you won't fit into your dress on your wedding day. And then, there are some things that don't even occur to you to worry about, that happen anyway, like your limo exploding into flames en route to the church*:



But you know what? We still got married. And now we have an awesome story to tell. And worrying about all the things that could have gone wrong would have been pointless, because at a certain point, it's out of your control and you just have to have faith, and hope for the best.

So that's what I'm trying to do. Have faith. Be positive. Imagine that there will be a real live baby in January. And take lots of deep, even breaths. And just enjoy this new chapter.


* We were all fine, including my 8mo pregnant bridesmaid and the 4 year old flower girl, but had to run from the limo and to the church. In the rain. Luckily, we weren't that far away.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i kind of love that your limo blew up on your wedding day. it's a fantasticly GOOD omen for your marriage as far as i'm concerned!
i too am trying to simply be hopeful and have faith in the little grain of rice. i think i'll relax a lot more once i get the results of my second beta....here's to deep breathing and calm hopeful thoughts!

Sarah said...

WOW!! that IS a good story! and you're so far ahead of me. it took me weeks to let it sink in and start to feel good about it. i'm so happy for you!

Ann said...

I know that when (if?) I become pregnant, I'm going to become perhaps more obsessive than I am now. But you're right--you just have to roll with the punches and let what will be, be. I'm still thrilled for you, though!

Jess said...

That's insane!! (about the limo)

My mom tried for ELEVEN YEARS to have me and had lots of surgery for her endo and she said the same thing as your mom....that she never thought about miscarraige. I was like..."now that's just silly."

I'm happy you're just trying to have faith. I know how hard it is to do that, though. Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be happier for you! I think it's wonderful that you're trying to be calm and have faith. I wish I could mirror your example...

Natalie said...

Thx for the kind words (on my blog) and congrats on the good news so far. Hang in there for yet another bumpy emotional ride - but hopefully an different kind of ride, an exciting one.

Anonymous said...

I think the flaming limo has to be a good omen! Did you at least get a refund?

JW said...

What a cool story, is that the REAL photo?? Wow!!

And good lord! Congratulations on your new pregnancy! I'm so excited to hear about it! Hooray!!

Ms. Perky said...

That's an AWESOME wedding story to get to tell (though I imagine I wouldn't have been so amused the day of had it been me).

Anywhozit, I'm glad things continue to go well!

Kirsten said...

What a story!!! And such a testimony to the fact that things will happen whether we want them to or not...but, I hope you won't worry to much about your precious little bean. I know it's hard not to. We let our news out when I was a mere 6 weeks pregnant (since most knew about our IVF anyway) and was kind of worried that I jinxed us but it felt SO good to let people know. It actually calmed my nerves a bit with all the love and support we received. I did have the occassional thought of miscarriage, but for the most part I tried to let go of the negativity I had pent up from years of IF and just focus on the fact that I WAS pregnant. But I'd totally get an u/s if we could afford it!!!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

OMg! How horrible about the limo but you are SO right that it presented a great life lesson. And I agree that you should let yourself enjoy this pregnancy. There's no way to really prepare ourselves for anything terrible and cheating yourself out of the joy of how your body is changing is certainly not fair to you!

ultimatejourney said...

Congrats on the great second beta! And happy belated anniversary. It sounds like you had a wonderful week all around. I'm so happy for you!

What a crazy story about the limo. Definitely not something I'd have thought to worry about either :)

hammygirl said...

Knowing too much can definitely be disconcerting - I hope you can find a way to let it all go and stay calm.

What a wild wedding day story! Great picture!

Baby Blues said...

That will go down in "wedding stories" history! Funny how things that go wrong during the wedding make it the most memorable.