Thursday, May 24, 2007

There are times when Dr. Google is a good thing

Sorry I have been absent. I have been trying to keep my anxiety about this pregnancy at bay and worried that writing about it would just exacerbate it. I have been following along with you all, though, and YAY Bumble!!

I've been feeling what I think are "normal" pregnancy symptoms, like exhaustion (I finally brought a pillow into my office for naps on the floor) and some nausea. And there has been no spotting or cramping. But still, it's like waiting for something bad to happen. I am trying really hard to be nothing but positive, but it's so hard to trust my body.

This afternoon I had another u/s. The wanding went on forever (and again, I inserted my own wand). The tech said, "so, there's two, right?" I must have looked flabbergasted, since then she said something about the last u/s report saying something about there being another sac. She poked and prodded that thing in me and even called another tech in to look at the ultrasound. After much consultation, they decided that there was only one. And that one is looking pretty good, measuring roughly on track (okay, a few days behind, but I'm trying not to worry about it since measurements at this stage are fairly inexact) and the heartbeat was strong at 160. But there is a weird band or piece of tissue or something running through the sac, sort of making it look like two. There's nothing in the other sac. Or band, or whatever.

Of course K and I were freaking out about the band or sac or whatever it is. Our RE, who rocks, said that it's likely nothing to be worried about but we're going back for another u/s on Saturday morning at the regular hospital u/s department, which apparently has 3D u/s and doppler and will be able to tell us what's going on. On the u/s requisition form she said it was to "rule out amniotic band".

So, like the good little researcher I am, I ran back to my office and immediately Googled "amniotic band". There is something really scary called Amniotic Band Syndrome but it's really really rare and would probably not be able to be detected this early and our u/s pictures don't look like it. I think it looks most like a synechia, which is usually totally benign, but since I don't always trust that Dr. Google went to a certified medical school, I'll wait until Saturday for the real report. But, for once, perusing the internets did make me feel better.

Who even knew that this was something to worry about? I hope it's like the limo explosion. Not something I thought to worry about beforehand, but ultimately will have no real effect on the outcome. Hanging in there for now. Positive thoughts and prayers from blogland much appreciated.

16 comments:

Watson said...

Good grief!

I've had two doctors *joke* about me having three, but to have a tech, in all seriousness, ask if there was an additional sac/embryo/fetus in there would just about push me over the edge!!

I hope your RE is correct and it's nothing major, and I'm glad you can have another U/S soon just to get that peace of mind.

Take care :-)

JW said...

Thanks so much Carrie! I'm sending you lots and lots of prayers and positive thoughts and I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Hope your mind can be put at ease soon though!! x

Sarah said...

sounds like everything is probably going really well, but glad you get another scan to ease your worries. that will be cool to see the 3D image. sending loads of positive thoughts your way.

ultimatejourney said...

I hope Saturday comes really quickly so you can be assured that everything is going great. I'll be thinking of you.

Kirsten said...

I'm glad they are monitoring you closely and now, after my last couple of weeks, I'm more of an advocate for Dr. Google because it most definitely helped me. I'm praying that it's nothing serious...hopefully it won't even be seen on Saturday's scan.
All the best to you guys!

Jess said...

I'm glad for an update!! Hoping all goes well and it's nothing to worry about!!

Ann said...

Sending good thoughts your way! I have to ask, though--did the thought of 2 sacs send you into a panic, or start to make you a little excited?

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the body trickery continues. I sincerely hope everything is fine and I'm glad you get to have another ultrasound so quickly so you can find out and breathe easier! Take Care!!!

megan said...

glad you can get another scan in quickly to ease your mind. sending much positive energy your way.

Meg and Darren said...

I'm glad the internet made you feel better, it generally does the opposite for me. I'm sure everything's fine, but they are great at least for making sure they know what it is. I'm not too far ahead of you, I'm 11 weeks 3 days today (so 3 weeks, 3 days ahead) roughly.I've been freaking out lately waiting for something to happen (I miscarried before and took over a year to get prego again) as my next ultrasound isn't until June 5th (13 weeks) and I haven't had one since 7 weeks. I understand how hard it is to not panic and keep it together. You'll do fine. I'm sure a lot of people would love to be 8 weeks pregnant who are still trying. Stay positive and my fingers are crossed for you! :-)

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Sending good thoughts to you guys for tomorrow's u/s.

Natalie said...

You haven't been around in awhile so I'm hoping it's because you've just been busy. I hope all's going well. Sending you good thoughts.

Neptune said...

May god bless you....

Kirsten said...

I hope that you are okay...please check in when you can!!!

Jess said...

Thinking of you!!

Anonymous said...

Carrie! I hope everything went well at your follow-up appt. Sounds like your RE is on top of everything, and I hope your worries are assuaged soon!