Tuesday, February 6, 2007

progress report

I have to submit a progress report for my postdoctoral fellowship. If I was being TOTALLY honest about what I do all day, this is what it would look like:

Dr. [Carrie] has completed approximately 5 months of her two-year research fellowship. During this time, she has focused on developing an infertility blog, preparing herself for infertility treatments, and spending an excessive amount of time reading a variety of infertility blogs and message boards online. In addition, Dr. [Carrie] adopted a dog with severe mental health problems, researched treatments for these problems, and then mourned the dog's death. Finally, Dr. [Carrie] has focused on renovating her old Victorian house that was probably a mistake to buy. She has actively participated in meetings with her contractor and worried about having enough money to both renovate the house and pursue fertility treatment. Her plans for the next year of the fellowship include getting (and staying) pregnant, deciding whether academia is really the best career choice/ researching ways to leave academia, and continuing to renovate her house. If these activities are not successful, she will continue to BS her way through the postdoc fellowship and submit an eerily similar progress report next year.

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Hi there,
Thanks for your comment; I am glad you found me and now I have another blog to read, too!
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Reba, it is such a horrible, horrible thing to go through. I'm still working through it but not a day goes by that I don't think of that terrible night. But, like you said, they are out of any pain now and having a grand time until we can meet again!
Oh, and my other dog had some pretty serious separation issues when we first got her, too, and it looks like they might be surfacing again now that her buddy is gone. We'll likely get another dog but I can't just yet.
Best of lucky with everything that you've got going on...sounds like you've got a lot on your plate but I am sure everything will fall into place just as it should!

Smarshy said...

Give that woman a PhD. She sounds smart.

I'm so sorry about your dog. I can't imagine how awful it must be. When my dog died many years ago I honestly did not know how to move on. We can become so attached to them.

Thanks for swinging by my blog.

Holy CRAP that's the longest word verification I've ever seen. I'll be here a while.

JW said...

Hey Carrie! I found your blog thru babyblues, and I'll keep reading... I'm so sorry about your little dog!

Oh, and I had to LOL about Dr MyAge. When I went to see a gynae for the first time, he was my age too, and damn cute!!! I got my stuff and headed the hell outta there. No way I was gonna let a cute Dr. MyAge look down there!!

Baby Blues said...

That's a good one! I think I better go update my Curriculum Vitae and include my extensive education on IF and ART from the University of Life. :)

Mandy said...

Hi Carrie, thanks for stopping by at my blog yesteday. I am so sorry about your Reba, it's heartbreaking isn't it?
Lots of luck with your treatment, we're all in it with you!

squarepeg said...

Wow. That sounds exactly like what my last two progress reports should have said. Except for the Victorian part. And the dog part- we lost our cat last year. I am still mourning her, and I can't imagine how devestated you must be. Sometimes in the midst of IF, postdoc, etc - it seems like things can't get worse. And they will turn around. They HAVE to. I'm very sorry you're in the midst of this rough patch. There is little else to say except "it sucks."

(hug)