Thursday, February 1, 2007

Dr. MyAge

So I met with the Dr. who will do my lap surgery. And he's MY AGE. I didn't think I was old enough to be thinking that doctors were looking so young these days. Not that it matters, of course. I'm sure he's a good surgeon. It's just so strange to be in stirrups, staring at the ceiling, talking to someone who you could just as easily have been talking to at a party.

Speaking of the stirrups, I had no idea there would be an exam involved in the consult. At this point I so willingly drop my pants, spread open, and let someone probe around in there without a second thought. And since I was overdue for one, I asked him to do a Pap "while he was down there". As though he was running an errand for me.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Now you've got me curious...

I too, was shocked at the young age of my doctor. I thought maybe the doctor's son was visiting him at his office until he was actually introduced as my doc.

Also - totally blindsided by the "exam" at the "consultation".

squarepeg said...

Hello! First off, thanks for commenting on my blog. Second, I wrote a long comment yesterday and blogger ate it...grrr.

Thanks for your "boo academia" support! My DH actually applied for a K99 too. His labmate scored a 133; DH scored a 138 - a difference of about 1%. D's labmate got the K99. Damn the NIH!!! Better luck to you ;)

Anyway, yea, I hear ya on the young doctor. The resident/fellow who I see frequently told me that his wife is "my age." (32) He's 30. holy god. we're all getting old, I guess! Good luck and see you around!