Thursday, April 5, 2007

Unlikely comrade

Yesterday, K and I met with a financial planner. Which was great. I feel so unburdened, knowing that he's going to draw up a plan for us that we can live with, that will help keep us financially secure now and in the future.

At one point in the meeting, he talked about our goals. I said, "well, we'd like to have children, so we'd want to plan for their futures". He smiled a somewhat (I thought) tortured smile and said, "well, I won't write that down for now. I wouldn't want to jinx anything."

I realized that we hadn't said anything about our IF struggles. And, then, I noticed several framed baby photos of twins. I understood that he knew what it was like be infertile. Maybe it is him and his wife. Maybe not - the pictures were in the general conference room, not his office. So maybe a colleague, a sibling, or a friend.

Or maybe he's just very sensitive and the twins photos were a coincidence. But it felt like such a breath of kindness. To have someone understand the hope and the fear. Not wanting to put it on paper. Not wanting to risk the hope.

-----------------------
In other news, I finished the Clo.mid last night. Does the fact that I didn't have any side effects (a little hot at night, but not too bad) mean that it's not going to work?

13 comments:

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your really wonderful comment! It really touched my heart!

It is so important to have people in your life who understand. I am glad you just found someone like that.

Take care!

Ann said...

Isn't it just wonderful to meet those rare people who "get" it?

On the Clomid issue, it means absolutely nothing that you didn't have any symptoms. Just to forewarn you, though: For me, the worst was the one or two days following the medicine--my withdrawal, if you will. Just remember that if you're feeling particularly down tomorrow or Saturday, it's probably the medication. Then again, you might not feel a thing! If so, I'm extremely jealous. It took a trip to Disney World for me to be able to relax while under the influence of Clomid.

Serenity said...

Ditto Ann's comment - I had VERY few symptoms on Clomid - a few night sweats, but that was it. And I had very strong ovulation each cycle I was on it - to the extent that I *felt* my ovulation each time.

So that you're not really feeling anything is NO indication of whether it will work or not. :)

Anonymous said...

I say if you don't have any symptoms on clomid, you are lucky! The stuff made me crazy, gave me hot flashes like you wouldn't believe and made me cry at the drop of a hat. My husband said if I ever have to take clomid again, he is moving out!

megan said...

i don't have any side effects on it either. i can't tell you if that means it won't work or not but am inclined to agree with the wise ladies who commented before me that it does not. i'm always happy when i take my last dose though -- that was today for me!

Sarah said...

like reality, i had horrible side effects on clomid. and it never worked for me, so maybe the reverse willbe true for you :) good luck!

Anonymous said...

I never had any side effects other than night sweats, and it's always worked. This last round, I went to the RE convinced that it hadn't worked, but had six follicles ready to go. Hopefully you'll get a good response even if you don't think anything's going on.

elizabeth said...

I just finished my fourth cycle of clomid with absolutely no side effects (the first cycle I thought I had a few, but looking back I think it was coincidental). I have wondered myself whether the lack of side effects meant nothing was happening. I do ovulate on clomid, though, and last cycle was apparently perfect, other than the fact that I am not pregnant.

Kellie with an "ie" said...

Some women are just lucky and have zero side effects with Clomid. Wishing you luck on this cycle!

ellie said...

The lack of symptoms on clo.mid mean only that you are darn lucky. I was psycho on it, but injectibles don't bother me in the least. We are all just totally different in how we respond to the meds so try not to read much into any symptoms or lack of. The 2ww tends to have us reading every twitch as a symptom- and those don't tend to be accurate either. Good luck.

Jess said...

Thanks for the interest in my blog! I'm not always this exciting, though!! :p

Thank goodness.

It's awesome that your finance guy gets is! Lovely!!

And no, no side-effects doesn't mean anything except that you're lucky!! :) I don't have side effects from almost any of the drugs (well, except the clomid, but that just made me a big mean biotch) and I always go through cycles fine, I just usually don't get anything out of them! lol

ultimatejourney said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry I can't offer any insight on Clomid, since that treatment wasn't an option for us. I can say that it's nice to know you're not the only one IRL who deals with IF. I hope the rest of the cycle goes smoothly for you and ends in good news.

JW said...

I know what thats like, its great to meet someone who understands. I haven't tried Clomid so no assvice there, I'm sorry!! Hope lots is happening foryou!